Friday, January 16, 2009

How To Make Your Own Prison Hooch


The other day I decided to try making prison hooch. Prison hooch is simply booze that prisoners make from whatever ingredients and tools they can get. It is usually quite strong in alcohol and just plain gross. But is supposed to get you real drunk, real fast! Alcohol is made when yeast turns sugar into alcohol. Simple enough. So, inmates put old bread, for it's yeast, into old socks and into a garbage bag with water, potatoes or fruit that has lots of sugar. The entire mixture is left somewhere warm to do it's thing for about a week. Then they drink it or sell it- $2/cup or $10/cup for the stronger stuff. Since I'm a free human being and have access to less ghetto tools I made my hooch with a slight bit more sanitation. I dissolved 1 cup of brown sugar in a small sauce pan of tap water. Then let it cool slightly before pouring in 1 packet of regular bread yeast. Next, I cut-up an apple and stuffed the pieces into an old sanitized wine bottle. Next, I poured in my sugar/yeast water into the bottle using a funnel. Filled it with some more tap water to about 2 inches from the top. Shake it and you're done. Now it's very important to let the gas out of the bottle, which is created by the yeast, so your bottle doesn't explode! And also very important to not let any oxygen in- it'll spoil everything and taste worse than it is already going to taste. I used the balloon, which you can see in the picture is standing straight up full of gas, pulled over the top and duck taped. I used a needle to prick 5 holes to let the gas escape and prevent oxygen from coming in. I also tried some hooch using a pear. In 7 days the gas should have stopped and I'll update then.

2 comments:

  1. ha, I don't know where you got those prices... no one likes to share in jail and everyone who is on the inside as far as hooch goes wants it to themselves or their little buddies... everyone uses their money for smokes, and everyone smokes but no ones got money...

    ReplyDelete
  2. and these are criminals we are talking about, "fair trade" is not their forte.

    ReplyDelete